Friday 4 February 2011

My music choices....

Because I co-founded and ran (for 7 1/2 years) Brighton's most successful hard dance night, people tend to assume that's the kind of music I play, or the only kind of music I like.

Actually nothing could be further from the truth, as anyone who's come to one of my gigs will tell you - especially those who'd dropped a couple on the way down....

Generally when I'm  DJing I play all sorts of music, from chill out to disco, but always with some sort of twist - a few Balkan or South American tunes are more or less bound to make an appearance - with a tendency towards the deeper side of house. In bars - particularly the Merkaba on Sundays - I tend to play chilled bar grooves for the first hour or two, then see which way things go from there - so it could be more soulful, could be jazz-funk, could be disco, could be 80s, could be funky, could be head-nodding hip hop. Might well be a bit of all of them. I tend to get bored if I play too many tunes that sound alike, so I guess customers must too!

I like getting feedback from people when I'm playing, though not of the "Play some Madonna!" type when it's not quite 9 o'clock and nothing I'm spinning is over 89bpm... In fact, if you want a quick guide to what not to say to a DJ, you could do much worse than head to Soundcloud, and listen to this -

http://soundcloud.com/danny-massure/mj-vs-andre-harris-pyt-10

And with that I've remembered that I've got tunes to burn, and dinner to cook. Or is that dinner to burn and tunes to cook? I'm always getting those two mixed up.....

No comments:

Post a Comment